Head of Group
t:02380 592 809
Peter G.R. Smith is a Professor in the Optoelectronics Research Centre and in Electronics and Computer Science at the University of Southampton. He graduated from Oxford University with a BA in Physics in 1990 and D.Phil in Nonlinear Optics in 1993. After a year spent as a management consultant he joined the University of Southampton. Peter has worked on a number of areas in optics research ranging from laser spectroscopy to polymer integrated-optics. He has published over 180 journal and conference papers in the fields of periodically poled materials and UV written devices at major conferences, including invited talks at national and international meetings.
- Grant funding from EPSRC, NSF, EU, TSB >£13.8m
- Significant research output – over 80 journal papers, >1500 citations, “h-index = 36”, 12 licensed patents, 16 graduated PhD students
- Founder of two spin-out companies – www.stratophase.com (1999) and www.covesion.com (2008)
- Member of EPSRC College, panel membership at international conferences, Associate Editor IEEE Photonics Technology Letters, service on various University panels and committees.
- Associate Dean Enterprise and International from 2010-2014, member of University Senate and Council.
He is co-founder of Stratophase Ltd a company developing spin-out technology from Southampton in the area of UV written waveguides devices, and of Covesion Ltd a company specialising in nonlinear optical materials.